How To Pay For Lineman School: 6+ Financial Aid Options
Investing in yourself and your education can feel daunting, but don’t let that stop you from reaching your full potential. Most families are shocked by the sticker price of higher education. We understand that the costs associated with tuition, supplies, and housing can be overwhelming, but financial aid can help make it feel more obtainable.
Financial aid is a viable option for many families and individuals looking to take their career to the next level. Check out these financial aid options available to all students who apply to Southeast Lineman Training Center.
SALLIE MAE STUDENT LOANS
- Southeast Lineman Training Center offers student loans through Sallie Mae Student Loans. This smart option loan covers 100% of tuition, fees and living expenses with the option to borrow up to 20% over tuition costs to cover living expenses . Students should not apply for this loan until they’ve been approved at SLTC. For more information and to apply, visit https://www.salliemae.com/student-loans/career-training-smart-option-student-loan/
WORKFORCE INNOVATION AND OPPORTUNITY ACT
- This federal government program allows individuals who are unemployed or underemployed to receive funds for retraining. Tuition coverage will vary depending upon individual circumstances. Students can find out if they qualify by visiting their local unemployment office also known as a “One Stop Center” or Career Center. Find out more about this option by visiting https://www.dol.gov/agencies/eta/wioa
TRADE ACT ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
- This federal program provides financial assistance to those who are unemployed due to layoffs and plant closers. Qualification depends on your specific circumstance. Those who qualify are typically covered for 100% of retraining costs. Find out if you qualify by visiting your local unemployment office also known as a “One Stop Center” or Career Center. Find out more about this option by visiting https://www.dol.gov/agencies/eta/tradeact/about/state-overview
VETERANS OF THE ARMED SERVICES
- SLTC is approved to certify veterans for G.I. Bill Post 9/11 benefits, which pays up to 100% of program cost and housing. Once you graduate from SLTC, join a company, and enroll into an VA approved apprenticeship program, you are eligible for continued VA benefits through the On-the-Job or Apprenticeship Training Program along with also receiving a salary from your employer. Your BAH will drop every 6 months once you’ve started your apprenticeship, however, your pay will increase alongside that. Do your research on companies that have approved VA apprenticeship programs.
LOCAL BANK OR PERSONAL LOAN
APPLY FOR SCHOLARSHIPS
- International Lineman’s Rodeo Scholarship
- The International Lineman’s Rodeo Scholarship is presented to candidates who meet the following criteria: a) a son or daughter of a Journeyman Lineman, or recommended by a Journeyman Lineman, b) have a High School Diploma or Equivalent GED, c) have a submitted letter of recommendation from their high school advisor or equivalent GED advisor and a friend or relative, and d) a written letter to the Scholarship Committee on why they should be selected to receive the scholarship including their financial need. More about the scholarship can be found at https://www.linemansrodeokc.com/scholarship/.
- Work Ethic Scholarship
- The Work Ethic Scholarship is presented by the Mike Rowe Works Foundation to help people get trained for skilled jobs that are in demand. To find out more information, visit https://www.mikeroweworks.org/scholarship/
- FLF Scholarship
- Through fundraising efforts, the Fallen Lineman Foundation has established a scholarship program for students entering into the Electrical Linemen Program and the children of linemen to reflect their belief in education and career development, and be a giving member of the linemen fraternity. Find out more at https://fallenlinemenfoundation.com/scholarships/
- Lineman Country Scholarship
- The Lineman Country Scholarship was established by Southeast Lineman Training Center to help open the door for individuals to start their journey in the electrical utility and communications industry. You can start your application at https://www.lineworker.com/lineman-country-scholarship/
No matter which option you choose or how you pay for your education, one thing remains true, the linework industry is a rewarding career that offers support and stability for you and your family.
Ready to start your journey to becoming a lineman?
Southeast Lineman Training Center (SLTC) is the premier training school for lineworker training; consistently producing an elite group of highly trained and certified graduates.